[Durham] Wake on Lan over Internet

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Fri Mar 23 22:54:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 23/03/2012 20:50, Andrew Glass wrote:
> Hey
>
> Got a bit of a problem that I would love to solve??
>
> I bought an app from the apple store called iNet WOL that says
> it allows wake on lan over the internet.
Gulp didn't know that was even possible. Sounds very much like it would
be very fragile. Gawd knows what arp tricks need doing to get the UDP
packets to the right place.

>  Unfortunately I cant seem
> to get it to work (I know its difficult due to the inherent security
> risks).   I can get it to work locally but via opened ports on the
> router = no go.

Good start. I've seen so many that only work intermittently or which
just aren't wired up internally properly anyway.

> Ive even tried building a small l2tp ipsec vpn on the dreamplug so i
> can vpn in first.  However the app still doesnt resume my server from s3 halt.
>
> Has anyone else at Durham LUG managed to get WOL working over the internet
 > previously?  If you have, Id love a few pointers please?? :D
I have a couple of machines that I've got a solution working for.

I use the Debian etherwake package and ssh into a server on my lan and
then run a script containing the following

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/etherwake 00:21:9b:38:79:c2

/etc/sudoers contains

Cmnd_Alias      ETHERWAKE  = /usr/sbin/etherwake 00\:21\:9b\:38\:79\:c2
ALL ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ETHERWAKE

Obviously you need to replace the MAC address with that of your machine.

Hope this helps.