[Durham] Wake on Lan over Internet

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Sat Mar 24 10:18:19 UTC 2012

On Friday 23 Mar 2012 at 22:54, Richard Mortimer <richm at oldelvet.org.uk>
wrote:
> > I bought an app from the apple store called iNet WOL that says
> > it allows wake on lan over the internet.
>
> Gulp didn't know that was even possible. Sounds very much like it would
> be very fragile. Gawd knows what arp tricks need doing to get the UDP
> packets to the right place.

In theory, you just need to open a port on the router which forwards
to the PC you want to wake. Then just send a packet to that port
which contains somewhere within it the magic string:
6 bytes of 0xFF followed by 16 copies of the 48 bit MAC address.
This string can appear anywhere in the packet.

That's the theory, anyway! I haven't tried it in practice.

--
			Martin

STRL Reader in Software Engineering and Royal Society Industry Fellow
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc