[Durham] Meeting Reminder: Tuesday 21st May, 19:30 Durham Rowing Club

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Tue May 21 11:55:59 UTC 2013

Hi Dougie,

Sorry I can't make it tonight but I do think your idea is a good one to
discuss. A few comments of mine below...

On 21/05/2013 10:01, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> If anyone's interested in possible themes for tonight I'd like to hear
> people's thoughts on Revision/Version Control Systems. I'm thinking more
> for just my own use for shell scripts mostly but I guess these things
> are flexible enough for most types of file changes. In the past I've
> used SCCS but that's a long time ago.
>
> I'd probably be fine with something like CVS
> http://www.linux.org/article/view/linux-and-cvs but I'm wondering if I
> should look at something like git. It's overkill for my needs but it
> might be the more useful one to learn. And then there's bazaar ...

Both SCCS and CVS are things that I wouldn't even consider using these
days. If you really must I'd use RCS instead of SCCS and Subversion
instead of CVS.

That said these days I really would just use git instead of any of them.
git can be a little difficult to get used to but there are many cheat
sheets to help people get who are used to other systems convert to
equivalent git commands.

git does work pretty well as a standalone revision control system.

I also use gitolite to act as a central collection point for my git
repositories to make it easier to backup etc. gitolite was dead easy to
setup using the Debian packaging. The nice thing is that you can commit
to the local repo and push to the gitolite machine occasionally (when
connected to your home network etc). Of course the flip side is you have
to remember to push to get things outside of your local machine.

There is lots of info online about git and gitolite. That said if anyone
was interest I'd happily run a practical session at one of the upcoming
meetings in June or later.

I'm currently using git repos for a variety of things:

- software development
- website backup/archiving/change management
- server configuration (/etc contents) management - don't push this to a
public service like github for security reasons
- managing datasets (GPS traces and similar)