[Durham] fstab and mounting drives at boot

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Tue Aug 5 08:35:24 UTC 2014

On 05/08/2014 08:02, Andrew Glass wrote:
> Hey
>
> Thanks for your help guys. I found out why the microserver does this,
 > it's due to the spare sata port and esata port being on a different
 > controller on the motherboard. There is a hacked bios that allows
 > the 5th sata port to be used at full speed and grouped together with
 > the other satas however I've just popped drives into the correct places
 > for now. May look at the hack in a few days when I'm off work.
Unless I'm missing something you shoudn't need to use any hacked
firmware. The UUID= fstab method is pretty much the norm these days (at
least I think/thought it is). It works for the boot partition too so I
don't think you need to worry about hacked firmware apart from speed issues.

> Great little servers are these hp n54l microservers. Do any of you use them?
Yes. Had one for a few years. Wonderful thing! A bit sluggish on the CPU
front but it works fine with plenty of storage.

Richard

P.S. Do be aware that HP changed their firmware patching policy about a
year ago. You can now only download the firmware whilst you have a valid
support contract or whilst the machine is under manufacturers warranty.
Make sure you get any that you might need sooner rather than later.