[Durham] Help

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:51:32 UTC 2016

On 27/04/16 19:50, A Pearson wrote:
> Hi Barry
>
> Thanks for your help. Yes it is a desktop as I find them more flexible
> and they last longer. Being retired I do not need portability
> No it was not the Lubuntu problem as I checked the keys and they were
> putting out what was on the label.  I had used a special character , £,
> on the first install but took this out subsequently when it did not
> appear on the Mint virtual keyboard.
>
> On the boot loader I got caught on this about ten year ago with SUSE
> when I used to come to the group so I know now the problem and try to
> avoid it. I had not seen any way round this but if you have an article
> and its not too much bother to locate it then it would be worth knowing
> about.
>
> Regards
> Alan

Hi Alan,

Please excuse the private message.
I'm pleased that you got it working. You may be interested to know that
the club has access to a computer suite/school room at the Rowing Club
building, as long as we ask nicely in advance, so you can bring along a
problem desktop and plug it into the existing monitors and keyboards.

I noticed from one of your other posts that you were using an ISO from a
cover disk off a magazine. It is not unknown for ISOs to get corrupted
so, in your situation, it is often worth trying a completely fresh
download from the official web site, and burn a brand new disc, as a
last chance to get things working.

Cheers,

Barry T