[Durham] Help

Jonathan Gowar jon at whiteheat.org.uk
Thu Apr 28 14:51:07 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-28 12:09, A Pearson wrote:
> Hi Barry
> Thanks for that info. Its not to bad just moving a tower but out of
> the question to bring monitor and keyboards etc.
> This is something new since I was last there so I will bear it in
> mind.

Hi.

   Alan, great to hear you got it working again.  You don't have to keep
the password simple now it's working.   Here is what I'd suggest:

Open a terminal, from X is fine, and change the password to your liking:

passwd

Enter the current and new passwords, then test it works by switching to
a virtual login; ctl-alt-f1 (f1-f6 IIRC), and enter the new details
there.  If that works, great, but X could still be loading a different
keymap on boot, but now we have a failsafe..

Logout of your X session and try the new password again, if it works =
WIN :D else log back in the the virtual terminal session and change the
password to something simple again.  At which point you will have access
back to your machine ... but also I'd be out of ideas!

Happy hacking!