[Falkirk] Greetings ~

Greg Sutcliffe greg.sutcliffe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 17:04:42 UTC 2012

On 8 March 2012 16:34, Denise Wood <phileinsophia at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Guys :)
>
> I think I want a distro that'd just get me up-and-running
> out-of-the-box, but would force me to tinker to get it to work right.

As resident Arch fanboy, I'd be remiss in not recommending having a go
with it :)

It's a distro which only gives you a commandline by default, so you
can install the desktop environment of your choice. It has (in my
opinion) a reasonable KDE implementation, so if that's your plan, also
worth a look.

Gentoo also falls into this category, and both have excellent
documentation/wiki material. You'll learn a lot running either.

> I've been considering just using Kubuntu, since I'm familiar enough
> with Ubuntu(Gnome) so I'd get to learn about KDE...

If you like Ubuntu, and just not Unity, install Ubuntu Server and then
add the desktop you want.

> But I've also been considering using Debian with Fluxbox, just to do
> something that's nearly completely different.

Awesome is also a fun windowmanager. I use it here at work.

> I'm not sure, though. I'm planning on just running them in VMs until I
> pick one that I actually like, so I'm happy to try different things.

Good plan :)