[Glastonbury] Strode Meeting

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 15:53:02 GMT 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mike Keogh wrote:

> I haven't read  the message yet (as I just get the digests) but I think
> that Martin has put a message up to the effect that Diane Themistocles is
> attending the next Lugog meeting.  Well, she hasn't even been asked yet, so
> it's a bit off to publicize it before she even knows about it!!!

Oops.
Sorry Mike -- the impression I got from what you said is that you had
already engaged in quite lengthy talks with the College/Diane; and that
everything was now go for her + colleagues to come and pick our brains /
marvel at our degree of sophistication in using Gnu/Linux systems / beg
us to go and take up teaching positions at the College, etc., whenever
we gave the go-ahead from our end.

If this isn't so, then I'm sorry.
(You did rather drop it on everyone as a personally organised bombshell
at the end of the meeting. I also got the impression there was more than
just Diane involved from the College.)

> The result of the meeting, as I read it, was that I would go back,
> discuss things with Diane

(I remember you telling us that was what you intended to do; I don't
remember the group giving you a mandate to do it in our name.)

What sort of things?  Could we debate this publicly on the list first?
Not everyone was at the meeting last night.

I've no objection to a meeting with representatives from the College --
in fact, I'd enjoy it very much, and I think it's a fine development
for the user group.  BUT -- if we're going to put on a demo for College
staff, it has to be a cracker -- no two ways about it.  And that demands
time, preparation and proper organisation.  With collaboration from all.
In full knowledge of everything that's going on in the background.

> and then we could publicise (or not) the
> meeting.

Right.

>  We really need to make sure that we go about things the
> right way, and follow the niceties of etiquette - otherwise we will
> just look silly and spoilt any potentially mutually beneficial
> developments.

I entirely agree.
I therefore suggest we discuss this development openly and publicly on
the list first; sound out everyone's opinions and ideas on the subject;
and make a common agreement on how we represent ourselves (there are over
forty of us now in the group) to external bodies -- such as the College.

Comments, anyone?