[Glastonbury] Strode Meeting

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Dec 5 00:11:10 GMT 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 20:45, Nick Irwin wrote:
> What is the purpose of demonstrating to Diane? Has she been made the head
> of Computing now or something?

<MO>

Understand your reservations Nick. I don't think this list is a great place
for making personal comments. I don't know this person and I'm already
forming an opinion.

> And also I know GNU software is great but, is it really fair on the
> Students?

Uh? how is it not fair? I personally have not signed up for any courses at
Strode, mostly because I don't need a course in how to use
access/excel/MSOffice and they don't offer anything else. Surely GNU should
be offered as a choice not a replacement for MS, that really wouldn't make
any sense. I would have thought Linux (or any *nix) would be a better choice
for anyone who wanted to learn programming and related skills. I don't see
how greater choice is unfair to students.

> I mean I remember Diane trying to teach me Microsoft products and
> to be honest I wasn't impressed, do people really think she will be able to
> teach it effectively to students without going on a course?

Talking of fair, that's not up to us to decide. We are not the arbiters of
what is good and true in computing. Sure we have a vested interest in making
sure that Linux is presented in a good way, but at the end of the day, if a
member of staff at Strode College wants to introduce Linux to the curriculum,
that's really up to them. That said it would be unfortunate if Linux got
presented badly.

</MO>

tim hall