[Glastonbury] Questions

Tim Hall glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 17 18:09:11 2003

Hi Tom

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 20:44, tom hayward wrote:
> 1: Does anyone know how to do animation on gimp?

I did it once, I'm not a graphics person really.
Try lookings at the Filters> and Video> menus and then read up about what the
various options actually do.

> 2: How do you create stuff that you can run on Root Shell?

Errm, like what? It's generally advised not to run anything as root unless
you absolutely have to. If you can do it as Joe Ordinary User, then all the
better. You probably want to study the manpages on chown and chmod and again,
think really hard about whether you need to do it this way.

> This ones for Windows.
>
> (Apache HTTP Server 2.0.43)
>
> 1: Mr Lenord clark gave me a disk which has (PHP, MySQL & Apache). I
> installed it but i do not know how to work it. Would some one tel lme how
> to use it.

If you have installed it properly (and it's running) you should be able to
look at your homepage placeholder by typing - http://localhost - into the
address bar (see earlier posts). If this doesn't work, it's either not set up
properly or you need to go fiddle with the network configuration (lets hope
not at this stage). If that works you should be able to copy your .php page
into /var/www or something similar and see what it does!

I don't have a clue how Apache works under windows (did I understand that
right?). I know my Linux box uses a local loopback interface which allows you
to access your own computer as if it was online. (?)

Do not worry, you're not the only one learning PHP etc. for the first time.
At least we'll all have lots of lovely questions to ask Sean at next month's
meeting. ;-]

good luck!

tim hall