[Glastonbury] Delurk

Sean Miller glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 21:20:01 2003

Rob Cornelius wrote:

> Just a quick line to introduce myself.  I am a "veteran" web developer
> with about 6 years of HTML experience under my belt. I am a fairly
> recent convert to Linux having been using it for only a year a or so.

You've suddenly made a fairly young man (mid-30s) feel very old (15+
years in IT)....

Ah well...  if "veteran" is 6 years, then what can I call myself??
Suggestions on a postcard to.... ;-)

But seriously, selling second rate websites to people to make a fast
buck is criminal... the web should empower people, and the
responsibility to empower also lies with the web designers and
architects who "help" these people make their business grow.... when one
takes on a web project one should assume that you are selling a total
package, one that will manage itself and empower the customer to
maintain it himself (or herself -- whatever, before people pick me up on
that)...

..and if that means it costs a bit more upfront, then that's how it
works. Because there are a lot of people who have been left high and dry
by cheap cowboys whose marketing department is clearly far far better
than their support.

Sad.

Sean