[Glastonbury] Linux's latest...

Richard Bown richard.bown at ferventsoftware.com
Tue Apr 27 10:17:37 BST 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 08:36, tim hall wrote:

> > I noticed you were using Laptops on the Rosegarden stand... what sort of
> > sound cards were being used there?
>
> Dunno about hardware, they're both using planetCCRMA too AFAIK.

Just the builtin sound hardware on both laptops.  On mine the alsa module
is "via82xx" - onboard sound controller.  It's pretty useless but does
something of a job in conjunction with careful tuning of JACK and some
softsynths.  For proper demos we add a USB MidiSport 2x2 MIDI interface and
hook that up to some external MIDI driven sound hardware.

Audio on a laptop isn't much fun unless you've got some decent outboard
audio gear.  Some guy at the show was telling us about his USB audio thing
(I forget the make but it costs about 100quid) - although I've heard bad
things about USB audio.  So YMMV.