[Glastonbury] New to it

Kelvin McNulty kelvin24 at gcircle.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 21:13:59 GMT 2004

Dear List and especially Maurice,

I guess I too have found that some people (not everyone) on this list are
somewhat dedicated to one particular distribution rather than any other.

I get on just fine with SuSE, which I was introduced to by one of the list's
Debian devotees. It knocks spots of Windoze for stability, and I can still
run Windoze Office applications on it using the (paid for) Crossover Office
package. At the time that I first installed SuSE on one of my three computers
(all were then running Windoze, 2 on 98 and 1 on ME) I was just so delighted
that SuSE installed itself in an hour or so without my having to make and
enter lists of all the features of the computer. The one thing I did have to
work on was disc partitioning and that feels like good basic knowledge to
have to keep things running and even that is not needed now that I no longer
have to keep Windows on any of the computers. When I have had problems I have
often found Google to be very helpful with solving them.

I wish you well with Linux, and in general I do not try to convert other
people to Linux from Windows, though I do tell them that Linux exists and
that they have a choice other than Windows. I'm sure you can manage without
us by Googling for the information that you need. And if nothing else works
for you, get a secondhand computer for about GBP200.00 that has about 128M of
Ram and around 10GB of disc and at least a 200Mhz processor and install SuSE
8.1 on it. This will work even with only 64M RAM but 128 is better.

I have to say that in general computers and the Internet are very complex
things and I don't think anyone on planet actually understands them in their
entirety... I say Keep It Simple and work with what works...

Best,

Kelvin