[Glastonbury] New to it

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 15:13:50 GMT 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, mauricemail wrote:

> Well, for a year or so I've taken in your meandering, your jargon, your
> eliteness and I'm really p*ssed off.

Sorry to hear that.  It's not our purpose to appear elitist or to piss
people off -- our purpose is to help; to promote self-learning; and to
have fun using Linux.  Doesn't sound as if you've found any of those
through the list.
(You may however, have run smack into a confusingly different mindset that
takes a little getting used to in the way it expresses itself.)
Now that you've voiced your frustrations, how can we help ?
(Sincerely.  Believe me, I've been there myself.  Ask Andy.)

> For a guy who just wants to just install Linux and use applications this is
> definitely not the place to be.

May I suggest you come to the next meeting and pick up a copy of Ubuntu?
(Better still, bring in your machine and someone will be able to install
some flavour of Linux on it for you.)  Then take it home and play to
your heart's content.  Or if you prefer, we can send you a copy through
the post.  (Ubuntu runs from CD.  It can also be installed to hard drive.)
What sort of problems are you having installing Linux?
What sort of machine do you want to install on?
What sort of applications do you want to run?
What's the exact nature of the problems you're hitting?

> I do wish you well because I hate m$ but if you represent the alternative
> you seem to be swimming against the tide.

Err .. I wouldn't describe us as Microsoft-haters -- rather Linux-lovers.
And Linux is not an alternative for, nor a free replacement for, Windows.
It's not in commercial competition with Microsoft, and really shouldn't be
thought of as such.  It's a whole other way of approaching the use and
accessibility of computer systems and their development.  Describe your
use; and someone in the group can probably advise you how to do it under
Linux.

> I'll try and discover a way to use linux without you.

Ubuntu.  (2 disks.)  Place CD #1 in tray and boot machine.
Read stuff that appears on screen and press buttons accordingly.
If you like it, use CD #2 to install to hard disk.

(Knoppix, Gnoppix and Kanotix are all similar single-CD versions of Linux
that run from CD and also allow you to install to hard drive; but Ubuntu
is more robust and user-friendly.  You can get copies of any or all of
these from the group.)

> Goodbye

Sorry we don't appear to have been able to help you so far.
Really.

Regards,