[Glastonbury] suse license

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 12:12:26 GMT 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:57:01AM +0000, Greg Browne wrote:
> Andy
>
> Many thanks, I have made some progress with those commands, but not there yet.
>
> Interestingly (having now installed both debian and SUSE 9.1, on the
> same machine - and there lies a saga!) SuSE gives more information on
> my graphics chip set (and different (S3)) to the info in the
> motherboard manual (VIA and no mention of S3).

Have a good look at the XF86Config files (probably under /etc/X11) and
see what's significantly different.  You may also want to apt-get install
discover, mdetect and read-edid if not already there.

You may also want to try the vesa drivers to give you a minimum spec
that should work while you find out the correct values.

What does dmesg | less say about the video chip, if anything?

> SuSE runs fine (KDE) but I cannot yet get xfree to run at greater than
> 640x480 in debian (Gnome), so the desktop is difficult to use. I've
> tried various configurations, and will try more when I have time.

Assuming the chipset is on board - how much memory does SuSE think
it has?

> Greg

HTH,

Andy