[Glastonbury] KNoppix install

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 22:53:14 BST 2004

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Sean Miller wrote:

> Hey, Martin!
>
> The idiot at the Who'dAThoughtIt has banned me for talking bad about him in
> another pub!

Hell, that's nothing.  The idiot at Strode College has banned me for
talking good about Linux. :)

[What you have to remember is that this is the depths of the Somerset
Swamps -- very rural, very primitive, very simple.  Things are seen in
black and white only here; passions about trivia run high.]

I can see the chattering classes of Northload Street getting all up in
arms about it already, and starting one of their usual campaigns on GWell
viciously targetting individuals, encouraging mob violence against those
they collectively deem not to be in favour this week.
Next stop the death threats ...

This is Glastonbury, remember?
Small town piddling little concerns get blown out of all proportion as a
matter of course.  Major national and international concerns are just NOT
seen.

> I'm hosting his website for free... tempted to switch it off immediately...
> what do you think?

Nah; just inform him you've tripled your fees.

Or set up: "TheWho-dAThoughtIT_sucks.com"

Better still, set up Glastonbury's first genuine public forum where
discussion of stuff like this can *really* take place in public -- *not*
a mail type forum, but more of a CMS that anyone can contribute to.  No
holds barred.  This town has needed it for years.

We have sites promoting the Magickal Mystery Kosmic Krap side of town; we
have Councillor Tom Billing's private and personal .gov.uk site; we
have anodyne 'commercial' sites; but nowhere do we have the opportunity
to express full-blooded social and political satire online, where the
population can let rip as and when they need to.

How's about it?