[Glastonbury] post from clare@blackdownhills.fsnet.co.uk requires approval (fwd)

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Jan 2 11:57:32 GMT 2005

Last Saturday 01 January 2005 14:48, Mike Hicks was like:
>  I have got knoppix installed on my laptop. I am
> having problems opening up programmes like Realtime although I have it
> downloaded.

I am beginning to develop reservations about Knoppix, not, I have to add,
through using it myself, but from attempting to help newbies who have
installed it thinking it's an easy way to get a Debian-like system working on
their box. AFAICS they just seem to be making rods for their own backs.

I am developing several points of view about Knoppix, which are probably
wrong, therefore I'm seeking a better point of view.

1. Knoppix is only a DEMO. It's a great demo, but you wouldn't want to use it
to do any actual work.
2. It's very difficult to install to Hard Drive.
3. Once installed it's almost impossible to upgrade.
4. It doesn't even use ALSA yet. (as a musician, this one is important)

Surely it's much easier to install Debian Sarge?
Could any of you who have actual experience of using Knoppix set me straight
on this one?

cheers & happy new years dears :-)

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk