[Glastonbury] post from clare@blackdownhills.fsnet.co.uk requires approval (fwd)

peter cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Sun Jan 2 12:48:02 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 11:57 +0000, tim hall wrote:
> Last Saturday 01 January 2005 14:48, Mike Hicks was like:
> >  I have got knoppix installed on my laptop. I am
> > having problems opening up programmes like Realtime although I have it
> > downloaded.
>
> I am beginning to develop reservations about Knoppix, not, I have to add,
> through using it myself, but from attempting to help newbies who have
> installed it thinking it's an easy way to get a Debian-like system working on
> their box. AFAICS they just seem to be making rods for their own backs.
>
> I am developing several points of view about Knoppix, which are probably
> wrong, therefore I'm seeking a better point of view.
>
> 1. Knoppix is only a DEMO. It's a great demo, but you wouldn't want to use it
> to do any actual work.
> 2. It's very difficult to install to Hard Drive.
Sorry tim it is very easy to install to hard drive

> 3. Once installed it's almost impossible to upgrade.

Dist upgrade i would agree

> 4. It doesn't even use ALSA yet. (as a musician, this one is important)
Not sure Kanotix does have ALSA

> Surely it's much easier to install Debian Sarge?

Not sure (how about i bring my laptop in and we try at a meeting i have
always been a bit wary of installing Debian)

> Could any of you who have actual experience of using Knoppix set me straight
> on this one?

There can be a few issues with a hard drive install some time your
cd-dvds can no longer mount after install ( the is a fix-cdrom script i
have just found) i just created a short cut to the device and that
worked OK.

Most other issues i have had i have posted to the forum for some one to
help with or if i find an answer i hope that i have shared it.

I think Knoppix has some great uses as a demo disk and also a gret
recovery disk, there are various Knoppix cd images that have been
remastered for varios jobs scientific, computer forensic work,
clustering, network security.

Like most things with linux it is all about choice.

I have been using Linux for 5-6 years now, don't kknow how to write a
script, or a program, can use the command line for minmal work.

can use configure ,make, make install, if it works don't know how to
read the output form it but will take an educated guess.

> cheers & happy new years dears :-)

I second that

--
peter cole <peter.t.cole at lineone.net>