[Glastonbury] post from clare@blackdownhills.fsnet.co.uk requires approval (fwd)

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Jan 2 14:15:36 GMT 2005

Last Sunday 02 January 2005 12:50, peter cole was like:
> On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 11:57 +0000, tim hall wrote:
> > Last Saturday 01 January 2005 14:48, Mike Hicks was like:
> > >  I have got knoppix installed on my laptop. I am
> > > having problems opening up programmes like Realtime although I have it
> > > downloaded.
> >
> > I am beginning to develop reservations about Knoppix, not, I have to add,
> > through using it myself, but from attempting to help newbies who have
> > installed it thinking it's an easy way to get a Debian-like system
> > working on their box. AFAICS they just seem to be making rods for their
> > own backs.
> >
> > I am developing several points of view about Knoppix, which are probably
> > wrong, therefore I'm seeking a better point of view.
> >
> > 1. Knoppix is only a DEMO. It's a great demo, but you wouldn't want to
> > use it to do any actual work.
> > 2. It's very difficult to install to Hard Drive.
>
> Sorry tim it is very easy to install to hard drive

Thanks, I did ask for clarifications.

> > 3. Once installed it's almost impossible to upgrade.
>
> Dist upgrade i would agree
>
> > 4. It doesn't even use ALSA yet. (as a musician, this one is important)
>
> Not sure Kanotix does have ALSA

It's specifically Knoppix and its suitability for making music I was needing
perspective on.

> > Surely it's much easier to install Debian Sarge?
>
> Not sure (how about i bring my laptop in and we try at a meeting i have
> always been a bit wary of installing Debian)

That would be fun. ;-)

> > Could any of you who have actual experience of using Knoppix set me
> > straight on this one?
>
> There can be a few issues with a hard drive install some time your
> cd-dvds can no longer mount after install ( the is a fix-cdrom script i
> have just found) i just created a short cut to the device and that
> worked OK.

OK, that's a normal Debian issue.

> Most other issues i have had i have posted to the forum for some one to
> help with or if i find an answer i hope that i have shared it.
>
> I think Knoppix has some great uses as a demo disk and also a gret
> recovery disk, there are various Knoppix cd images that have been
> remastered for varios jobs scientific, computer forensic work,
> clustering, network security.
>
> Like most things with linux it is all about choice.

I'm not taking a pot-shot at Knoppix at all, I'm just questioning its
suitability for music, mostly due to issues that have come up else-list. I
agree that it is very useful for the things that you mention above, but I
think I'm going to start recommending that people don't try to use it for
serious audio work.

Thanks Peter, that's given me a bit more perspective.

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk