[Glastonbury] 2 more questions please - re KMail (Mandrake OS)

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 20:52:23 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:03:59PM +0000, info at wccl.co.uk wrote:

> I am sorry, I still don't have the full info about my system to quote but hope
> it isn't necessary for these questions - which aren't urgent or important but
> bug me...

Yes

Are you sure?

Because it puts the thread of the messages and any argument sequence out of
order

Why do some people tell me that "top quoting" is the wrong thing to do?

> 1)	How can I make the signature insert where I want it?
> <small snip> In the case of a mail I instigate, I can place my
> text to fit in with the signature's position, but when I am replying to or
> forwarding someone else's mail, my signature appears after their mail, which
> is infuriating and it has to be moved, seeing I need it to appear after my
> signature and above the other person's mail.

If you look at the way this mail is quoted, this is potentially a more
normal way to quote/reply to someone's email. If you don't need to
include all the message, snip some out - you may also want to indicate
that you've done so. Microsoft Outlook top posts by default and it's not
necessarily easy to change that behaviour: over the years, many people
have come to accept this as the norm but, in fact, the quoting style
used here is possibly easier to follow. It is also slightly more like a
conversation or discussion.

> (our business signature is several lines, not practical to type it every time)

Use the identities field settings in KMail - you should be able to
create a personal signature for each user and then just dump it in each
time as if you were working from a document template.  If you can keep a
business signature short, please consider doing so. Older rules of
'Netiquette suggested that a signature should be no longer than four
lines of text.  ASCII art came along and produced a whole genre of
interesting images ... but that's not necessary for every message.
Given that some "broadband" ISP's are now back to imposing a monthly
download limit - I'd hate to lose even a few kilobytes on my mailbox and
download quota if it has 350 emails in it. I have seen
business-originated emails with a 12 line disclaimer which is overkill
In My Humble Opinion.

> 2)	Over quite a while since an update of KMail, I now discover that if I hit
> shift-ctrl on the right hand side of the keyboard, the text becomes
> right-justified and I can't find any way to return it to left justified (undo
> has no effect). This never happened in earlier days and is really annoying
> because I am a fast touch typist so I use the right-hand shift a lot and it's
> quite easy to catch the edge of ctrl accidentally. shift-ctrl will also
> r-just the "to, cc, subject" etc boxes. Undo here removes the text completely
> while leaving cursor r-j. If I *send* the right-j mail, it (including the to
> and subject and so on boxes) appears left-j in outbox and if I reopen it from
> there it is left-j.

Repeat shift with simultaneous mouse right click - it moves the text from right
justified -> centred -> left justified. Quite convenient if you want to centre
a heading quickly or some such.

I've only just tried this so Your Mileage May Vary. There are also, of
course the format buttons on the top taskbar. Select the errant text and
use those??

> Is this a bug? (Not a problem, I can live with it.) Or is there a wonderful
> use for this that I haven't yet worked out (which would be a lot more
> interesting than some pesky bug)?
>
> Ros

You're welcome. Have fun and enjoy :)

Andy