[Glastonbury] 2 more questions please - re KMail (Mandrake OS)

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Jan 13 23:51:25 GMT 2005

Last Thursday 13 January 2005 16:03, info at wccl.co.uk was like:

> 1) How can I make the signature insert where I want it? I don't always want
> it at the end of the mail. In the case of a mail I instigate, I can place
> my text to fit in with the signature's position, but when I am replying to
> or forwarding someone else's mail, my signature appears after their mail,
> which is infuriating and it has to be moved, seeing I need it to appear
> after my signature and above the other person's mail.
>
> (our business signature is several lines, not practical to type it every
> time)

I don't know if there is a way to do this with kmail.

> 2) Over quite a while since an update of KMail, I now discover that if I
> hit shift-ctrl on the right hand side of the keyboard, the text becomes
> right-justified and I can't find any way to return it to left justified
> (undo has no effect). This never happened in earlier days and is really
> annoying because I am a fast touch typist so I use the right-hand shift a
> lot and it's quite easy to catch the edge of ctrl accidentally. shift-ctrl
> will also r-just the "to, cc, subject" etc boxes. Undo here removes the
> text completely while leaving cursor r-j. If I *send* the right-j mail, it
> (including the to and subject and so on boxes) appears left-j in outbox and
> if I reopen it from there it is left-j.
>
> Is this a bug? (Not a problem, I can live with it.) Or is there a wonderful
> use for this that I haven't yet worked out (which would be a lot more
> interesting than some pesky bug)?

kmail has a lot of irritating undocumented creatures. It's probably worth
filing a bug report if there isn't one already. Personally I'm in the process
of weaning myself off KDE applications as they all seem to have these
problems and seem to take way more resources than they should. Even Zak (my
10 year old) has migrated to GNOME now.

Thunderbird and Evolution have good reputations.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk