[Glastonbury] File and printer sharing

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 29 07:05:51 BST 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 07:54:05PM +0100, tim hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Right, I've got to the point with the Assembly Rooms network where I'm going
> to need some help. It's taken somewhat longer than I expected, but now I have
> four boxes all networked up, two running Ubuntu Hoary and two running Debian
> Sarge. The network is nicely configured, I can send pings all round and I can
> ssh happily between the Sarge boxes, which is all well and good. The Ubuntu
> machines have all their ports closed as per default. I'm not entirely sure
> how to open them, is that simply a question of starting the relevant service
> from /etc/init.d/ or are they locked down more than that? I might not bother,
> if I don't need to do this.

Try using dpkg-reconfigure ssh on them and run the server? It may be
that they've only got the ssh client on by default.

> The Ubuntu clients can see the internet fine through the Debian gateway box,
> now I want to share files and printers. Help please.
>
> I'm trying to configure samba, which I'm doing by playing with the values
> in /etc/samba/smb.conf on each of the boxes. I can see all but one of the
> Ubuntu machines, which I could probably solve by simply copying across the
> smb.conf file, but how? remember, no ssh or anything. I suppose I could do it
> via ftp, but that seems a little daft. However, I can't access the shares on
> any machine. The problem I'm guessing lies with the authentication, this is
> usually where I come unstuck. Does samba use separate username/password
> values to main system? There seem to be so many different authentication
> methods and I'm not sure which are supposed to work together or conflict.
> Does anyone have any good pointers to an explanation of the system written in
> reasonably plain English? I'm beginning to find developer jargon slightly
> tedious, especially when it runs to several pages. ;)

SWAT - the Samba Web Admin tool is a deity-send here. If one of the
machines has apache running, install swat then point your browser at the
appropriate port and you get a nice Web front end. [Can't remember the
port off-hand but it'll be in the docs for swat in /usr/share/doc :) ]

> I'm also having similar and I suspect related problems with printer and
> scanner configuration. I keep reading these wonderful reports about how CUPS
> and SANE have made it so much easier and I dread to think what it must have
> been like before they arrived. The device permissions all look right by the
> way and I've added myself to the relevant groups and the printers are
> supported models - I looked them up on linuxprinting.org - I'm stumped.

CUPS too has a web front end which I use by default [I notice that the
some machines at work run Apache _just_ to be able to run the CUPS web
front end :) ] Don't know about SANE - Martin ???