[Glastonbury] here we stand... on a rocky shore...

Tony Sumner tony at whittycat.me.uk
Sun Nov 13 23:13:03 GMT 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 08:29:41AM +0000, Sean Miller was like:

> So... where are we at present? Do we have an active group?

Looks like we have. I'm feeling bad cos I've been listening to the
traffic and not going to any meetings. Wellington is not in
Glastonbury but it's not that far away either and I have been to a few
meetings of the Devon and Cornwall GLUG in Paignton. Also I've just
noticed that the subject of the November meeting was Ubuntu 5.10 and
I've just upgraded my Kubuntu machine from 5.04 to 5.10 so I would have
been able to ask some questions. My other PC runs Red Hat 8.0 -- oh
and I have a Dell laptop that runs Debian Sarge.

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 03:20:34PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater was like:

> Linux install day?

Before I came to Somerset I was with the Silicon Corridor LUG based in
Reading and they ran a very successful install day every year. This
attracted people who wanted to learn about Linux but were scared of what
people had said about installation woes. They were able to get a room
in the University with lots of tables, power sockets, etc. They may have
had an ADSL connection I'm not sure. Btw I formed the SCLUG in 1995
and we called it Silicon Corridor cos someone used to come up from
Bristol on his bike.

Building is another thing; I've met people who want to build their own
(for the fun of it) and are capable of buying the kit but are nervous
about connecting it up.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 12:47:18PM +0000, Ian Dickinson was like:

> I'll save a rant about the suckiness of writing tools (including
> OpenOffice and DocBook and MSWord) for another day :-)

I look forward to that. I use emacs and TeX but that may just reflect
my age.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 08:40:30PM +0000, peter cole was like:

> The mailing list has been a bit quiet but you could look at this in 2
> ways , the distro's are getting better and don't need so much support so
> not so many post's or people have drifted away.

I wonder. I'd like some support if you have the patience. I've got
Kubuntu 5.10 and I want to get the sound working. I have a Creative
AWE 64 soundcard and the alsa driver is in place but no sound, viz I
can't play a CD. A trawl on the net came up with the suggestion that I
should d/l the alsa driver, unzip it and run ./configure. That might
work but what happens is that it says there is no C compiler in $PATH
and I find that gcc has gone on holiday and I now have
   /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux-gnu/3.3.6/cc1
   /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.2/cc1
so should I do   ln -s /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.2/cc1 gcc   ?

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 01:54:50PM +0000, info at wccl.co.uk [Ros] was like:

> For me it [the list] is valuable as I'm not tecchie trained and I
> learn from it, also can get much-appreciated help.

Yeah, me too. And I'll get to the December meeting DV

Tony Sumner