[Glastonbury] here we stand... on a rocky shore...

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 06:52:08 GMT 2005

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 11:45:37PM +0000, Tony Sumner wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 08:29:41AM +0000, Sean Miller was like:
> noticed that the subject of the November meeting was Ubuntu 5.10 and
> I've just upgraded my Kubuntu machine from 5.04 to 5.10 so I would have
> been able to ask some questions. My other PC runs Red Hat 8.0 -- oh
> and I have a Dell laptop that runs Debian Sarge.

Please reconsider the RH :) 8.0 is really too old - the Fedora Legacy
project skipped support for 8.0 so you won't even get any security
patches.

> I wonder. I'd like some support if you have the patience. I've got
> Kubuntu 5.10 and I want to get the sound working. I have a Creative
> AWE 64 soundcard and the alsa driver is in place but no sound, viz I
> can't play a CD. A trawl on the net came up with the suggestion that I
> should d/l the alsa driver, unzip it and run ./configure. That might
> work but what happens is that it says there is no C compiler in $PATH
> and I find that gcc has gone on holiday and I now have
>    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux-gnu/3.3.6/cc1
>    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.2/cc1
> so should I do   ln -s /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.2/cc1 gcc   ?

Ubuntu is a desktop distribution - so don't include compilers out of
the box IIRC. It may be that you've just been hit by the "Alsa starts
up with everything muted" - run kmix / aumix / whatever and reset
the volumes. I think you then use alsaconf to change saved settings?

Don't link the stub to gcc - apt-get install a gcc instead?

HTH,

Andy