[Glastonbury] Ubuntu + sound on a Dell Inspiron 8200

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 20:57:44 BST 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 02:21:52PM +0100, Martin Wheeler wrote:
> Can anyone help me here?
>
> I've forgotten how to log in as root under Ubuntu (I seem to remember you
> have to su to root and enter a password, but I can't remember the exact
> process -- could someone refresh my memory please? -- then we'll have it
> for all time in the list archives.)

I think you can just sudo

then type passwd root and set up a password for root.

Since the first user you set up is the one able to run as root,
you may only need to type sudo passwd

> Also; is anyone on-list running sound on a Dell Inspiron 8200?
> It uses the ac97 chipset -- which is the one giving me nightmares on the
> Toshiba Satellite -- works perfectly under kernel 2.4.x; but is as silent
> as the grave under 2.6.

Since Ubuntu 5.10 and Kubuntu made my laptop work perfectly: are you
sure the settings for the audio card aren't muted?

Try running aumix or a mixer to set the volume: ISTR that late model
KDE (and/or Gnome) mutes the sound by default