[Glastonbury] Frustratingly slow ML

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 02:01:14 GMT 2006

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Andrew Walrond wrote:

> The delivery rate of messages here ridiculous.

You're right.  It's running at about 4 hours delay at the moment.

> It makes any reasonably
> realtime email conversation impossible :(

Well actually that's fine by me as I don't use deferred mail services for
real-time chat.  (And I don't use IRC either -- I loathe the things.)
In other words, you'll find I don't do real-time chat.
But for those who do...

> I'd be happy to host a ML for the lugog, unless TPTB can talk to lug.org.uk (I
> assume thats who runs it; Martin?)

Yup; them's the guys.  And because everything is free, user groups really
don't have much clout with them.  But anyone who feels like it can get in
touch with them, and ask them WTF?  and:  is it likely to get better?

> and get it fixed.

So what does the rest of the membership think?
Stay with lug.org.uk, with excessive delays in receiving mail; or move
over to a home-grown solution somewhere?  (Several of us already run our
own mailman servers.  And we've already moved the website away from them
and onto one of our own [Sean's] servers.)

On a personal level -- if the mailing list is to be moved, my only proviso
would be that it remain mailman-based.  (Simplifies lots of things -- not
least continuation of the archives.)