[Glastonbury] LUGOG site content management solution

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 16:30:24 GMT 2006

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Sean Miller wrote:

> I've been looking at content management solutions for the LUGOG site as folks
> seem to dislike Mambo...

It's not really *dis*like -- it's more a feeling that what we need is
something quick and easy to post items to -- either as news items, or as
news sections.

> a) We choose another package... to this effect I could install several and
> folks could see which they prefer.

I think we should do this in any case -- but perhaps even more useful
would be a check-list of the features we're seeking.  (For example, I'm
not interested in forums at all -- I use this list in preference.)

What would I like to see?
- calendar function
- image gallery fucntion
- area where members could publish their own pages
- SIMPLE, EASY, INTUITIVE INTERFACE TO CHANGE INFO RAPIDLY

> b) We write something bespoke.

Sounds fun; and what we *ought* to be doing; but I feel any initiative of
this kind should be run concurrently with a known working CMS package
which we can use in the interim.

Whatever we do, I think it's necessary to have the option of logging in as
an accredited contributor (just in case the site attracts the
usual crop of mentally deranged who consider the internet to be their own
private global toilet wall); and also various levels of editorial
authority (super-user, section admin, editor, contributor, etc.).

cheers,