[members at lugog] OT - but need advice - my web site has had phishing pages added

Graham Smith graham.smith at myotis.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 19:26:05 UTC 2010

Sorry about this off topic question, but I am not at all sure where to
get help.

I have had a couple of warnings from google and now from
downie at spamtrackers.eu that my web site has been hacked and is hosting
ebay phishing pages.

I did try and link to the phishing page when I got the google warning,
but simply got a 404 page not found error, so I assumed it was some kind
of spam.

However, not really knowing what to do I passed the google warnings to
my ISP tech support several days ago and the email from
downie at spamtrackers.eu at 6am this morning, as soon as I picked it up.

However, I have had no response from tech support (about the google
warning or todays email) and I'm not sure what I should do.

I'm afraid my small web site was created with "idiot user" software
which also uploaded it for me, so I have little idea what is happening
at the server end.

What I have done, is this time I went into cpanel and managed to find
the phishing pages. I haven't deleted them but renamed them, as the
email asked that I forward the pages to them for inspection (but then
I'm not sure of the validity of the email)

Checking the logs for today since about 6am when I renamed the pages all
the attempts at accessing the phishing pages are now getting a code 404
response, where before they were getting a code 200 response.

I have also changed the password to one that was generated by my log-in
page and has a good Strength rating.

I would appreciate any advice, as to what my next step should be. Other
than continuing to chase purplepaw tech support.

Many Thanks,

Graham

Graham M Smith
graham.smith at myotis.co.uk