[members at lugog] OT - but need advice - my web site has had phishing pages added

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Tue Aug 17 19:33:48 UTC 2010

You want to find out if your server has actually been compromised...
it is possible that the script has installed backdoors so that
whatever password you now set they will still be able to get in.

The best advice, I think, if you're not au fait with server security
etc. is that you move your website to another server ASAP, making sure
when you do that there are no scripts left within your own document
root (ie. /public_html or /www etc.)...

Then look at what you've got installed on that site and how the people
might have got in.  Because there may be a vulnerability in the
scripting -- sadly "idiot user software" is often used across the
globe by huge numbers of people, hence it is a very attractive target
for hackers to find ways into... more bespoke sites aren't so
lucrative because hacking into one site is "cool!" but finding a way
to hack into 20,000 is "cooler!" ;-o