[members at lugog] HELP! Debian 5 (Lenny) update

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Mon Dec 6 10:11:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 09:15:15 +0000
Alan Levett <alan at hidown.plus.com> wrote:

> I have Debian Etch, and want to update to Lenny. It comes on 5 DVD's
> - almost 20 Gigs - far to much for me to download with an ISP limit
> of 5 Gigs/month. So Linux-man.co.uk to the rescue with 5 DVD's of
> debian 5.0.0 - Lenny. Looking at debian.org, there is an update -
> debian-update-5.0.7-i386-DVD-1.iso. Does this replace DVD 1 of the
> set that I have ordered? or is it a different animal?

The set of five will include, so far as I know, _all_ the apps in the
Lenny archive and the source code and the actual version will depend
on when the vendor updated his source for the DVDs.

If you are unable to do a net-inst or upgrade over the internet then
getting the DVD set is your only way forward. I think that in practice
you will end up doing a fresh install rather than an upgrade so you
will need to save any data you need to keep elsewhere than on the
drive/partition Etch is currently installed to.

I think the single CD may also be wanted to take Lenny to the current
position BUT depending on the version of Lenny on the 5 DVD set you may
be able to do that final upgrade over the internet as there won't be
too many changes between 'point' releases.

Could you take your PC to someplace where there is a less restrictive
internet connection and do a dist-upgrade there?

One of the advantages HantsLUG has for this sort of thing is that they
have many meetings at Southampton Uni who have a mega-fast internet
connection so doing an upgrade there or somewhere similar would be perfect for you.

Lenny is of course going to be replaced in the near future by squeeze so
you will have the same problem when you want to upgrade again.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid