[members at lugog] dualboot partion problem

Douglas Phillips douglas at douglasthepotter.f2s.com
Tue Feb 9 14:18:24 UTC 2010

Hi All,

While recuperating I thought I would replace my aging computer with a
Medion from Aldi. As it comes with WinDoz7 and I have a pyrometer
program which only runs on windoz, I thought I would dual boot with
Ubuntu. When it comes to the installer, it say there several operating
systems on it on the hard drive but see it all as /dev/sda2 and dose not
give one the choice a dual in stall. the choice is, Use the entire disk
or manually, which shows prepared partitions;

/dev/sda1   ntfs       104 MB          (35MB used)
/dev/sada2 ntfs 975593 MB    (21804 MB used)
unusable              1954  MB
/dev/sda3    ntfs  21474 MB    (10139 MB used)
/dev/sda4    ntfs    1074 MB        (358 MB used)

At this point I am not sure how to proceed.

I could just make it a pure Linux machine and consine WinDoz7 to the
dust bin and continue to run my piro on a separate XP machine (which I
really would like to throw away) or struggle on with vertualbox, which
runs the program ok but is very ify when it comes to com ports for
connecting the pyrometer to the computer.

I presume that as the Medion computer only comes with a restore disc,
one cannot use this to install WinDoz7 on vertualbox? Is this more
evidace of Msoft being a dog-in-the-mange, stopping gpart from seeing it
on the HD?

Any words of wisdom anyone?

best wishes,
Douglas