[members at lugog] dualboot partion problem

Douglas Phillips douglas at douglasthepotter.f2s.com
Tue Feb 9 16:32:49 UTC 2010

Ian Dickinson wrote:
> Hi Douglas,
> There's a version of gparted which you can boot into from a CD. What I
> would do is to boot the machine with gparted, re-partition the current
> disk to shrink the size of the NTFS partition, then install Ubuntu
> into the free space.

I have already tried this but as there are already 4 partitions I cannot
create any more and if I try to delete one, it just become unallocated
space, which is not at all the same thing as free space.
> An alternative, if you're feeling slightly more adventurous, is to get
> a second hard drive (ask around, or check e-bay ... it needn't cost
> you much) then use that new drive as your linux drive and the current
> disk as your windows drive. But that does mean installing a second
> harddrive, which isn't usually too difficult but might be daunting for
> the less experienced!

Adding another HD is no problem but I do not understand where grub
resided or functions with a dual drive dual boot set up?

Thanks,
Douglas