[members at lugog] dualboot partion problem

Douglas Phillips douglas at douglasthepotter.f2s.com
Tue Feb 9 17:37:42 UTC 2010

Ian Dickinson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Douglas Phillips
> <douglas at douglasthepotter.f2s.com> wrote:
>
>> I have already tried this but as there are already 4 partitions
>>
> 4? What do they hold? I would have expected one for your C: drive and
> one for the system recovery partition .. I wonder what the others are?
>

>> I cannot
>> create any more and if I try to delete one, it just become unallocated
>> space, which is not at all the same thing as free space.
>>
> Not quite sure what you mean by free space, then. I was referring to
> unallocated space: when I went through this process, I shrank the ntfs
> partition to give me some unallocated space, which I then formatted as
> ext3 during the Ubuntu install.

If I skimk an ntfs partion, I am left with unallocated which is
unformatted. Gparted says I can only have 4 partitions (which are
already there and undeletable) so there is no free space just lots of
this unallocatable stuff!

>>> An alternative, if you're feeling slightly more adventurous, is to get
>>> a second hard drive (ask around, or check e-bay ... it needn't cost
>>> you much) then use that new drive as your linux drive and the current
>>> disk as your windows drive. But that does mean installing a second
>>> harddrive, which isn't usually too difficult but might be daunting for
>>> the less experienced!
>>>

>> Adding another HD is no problem but I do not understand where grub
>> resided or functions with a dual drive dual boot set up?
>>
> I'm no expert, but when I've done this in the past it "just worked":
> the installer figured out which disk had the Master Boot Record and
> put the grub loader there. The only time I had problems was when I
> updated Vista to Win7 *after* installing Ubuntu: it trashed grub and
> took a bit of fiddling** to get Linux back. Conventional wisdom has it
> that doing Windows install first and Linux second usually isn't too
> much of a problem.

Might give this a try or just admit I paid the MS tax and be done with
it. A linux driver  and graph program for my pirometer would be a so
much better way to go!

Thanks again,
Douglas