[members at lugog] Re YouTube - Displaying

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Wed Feb 24 12:37:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:48:54 +0000
Alan Levett <alan at hidown.plus.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Mepis uses Firefox (alt. Konqueror- Oh what a horror!) While
> Debian uses Iceweasle - both mozzilas, I believe.

icweasel is firefox but without certain copyrighted bits that
conflict with debian policy

Konqueror is a KDE application but I don't know what its origins are.

With debian you can determine which is the default browser by
symlinking /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser to point to your
preferred browser. (I expect there is a gui way of doing it but I use
mc for stuff like that!)

In my case x-www-browser links to /usr/bin/opera since I far prefer
Opera to any of the other linux browsers. iceweasel is available from
the menu if I need it for the odd website that doesn't like opera ;-(

Why do I prefer Opera? Well it was the first browser to use tabs and
since my primary use of a web browser is for genealogy research and
for access to the geneweb database, where I need to have multiple tabs
open (currently 12), so Opera was the obvious choice ten years or so
ago.

Opera does tabs better without any addons/plugins than iceweasel does
with them, though iceweasel has improved with recent versions.

There is even an Opera repository at http://deb.opera.com/opera so I
get updates automatically, but you may not be able to use those .deb
files in Mepis. I was having a look at LinuxMint 8 a few days ago and
noticed they have Opera available from their Mint specific repository.

You can always get Opera direct from
http://www.opera.com/browser/download
there is a Mepis 8 version available.

--