[members at lugog] Introduction

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Nov 22 14:29:02 UTC 2010

Ian Dickinson wrote:
> [...] if Linux distros didn't adapt to what people at
> large *want* to do (games, social media, high-definition video, etc)
> then those distros would be *denying* choice to the people who do want
> to do those things on GNU/Linux, but don't find the current user
> experience satisfactory. If Linux is ever to break out of its current
> niche, it has to go where the market is.

Dragging us back to an earlier point: is the market where the sort of
graphics that Wayland does?  What are the numbers?

After all, playing videos off web things like iplayer and youtube
doesn't seem to require OpenGL as far as I can tell.  The challenge
there now is codecs and integration more than graphics subsystem
performance.

Confused,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/