[members at lugog] Introduction:

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Wed Nov 24 22:21:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:43:22 +0000
<stoker at headweb.co.uk> wrote:

> Ubuntu appears to be based on debian and Red Hat based Fedora is , I
> think, in the same line of business as Ubuntu.

I think you have that slightly wrong ;-)

Ubuntu is based on Debian sid but increasingly seems to be moving away
in many aspects and IMHO is now a fork, although it is claimed they do
feed back into Debian,

Fedora is the user supported version of the commercial RedHat but
doesn't, so far as I know, have the backing of a millionaire to get it
the sort of publicity Ubuntu has gotten in recent years.

There are several other good distros around that are based on the work
done by the Debian team but only Ubuntu has had money poured into it. I
guess I am anti-*buntu so my views are biased.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid