[members at lugog] Introduction:

stoker stoker at headweb.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 08:50:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 22:21:29 +0000, john lewis <johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk>
wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:43:22 +0000
> <stoker at headweb.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu appears to be based on debian and Red Hat based Fedora is , I
>> think, in the same line of business as Ubuntu.
>
> I think you have that slightly wrong ;-)
>
> Ubuntu is based on Debian sid but increasingly seems to be moving away
> in many aspects and IMHO is now a fork, although it is claimed they do
> feed back into Debian,

sure, whatever...however the average end-user historical ease of use is
the perspective I'm using here.

> Fedora is the user supported version of the commercial RedHat but
> doesn't, so far as I know, have the backing of a millionaire to get it
> the sort of publicity Ubuntu has gotten in recent years.

Well there's more than one way to skin a cat...lol

> There are several other good distros around that are based on the work
> done by the Debian team but only Ubuntu has had money poured into it. I
> guess I am anti-*buntu so my views are biased.

I see  ubuntu doing what client based endusers want, that is, competing
with windows.

Fedora is in the same camp, basically, in providing a desktop distro that
users can use vs windows.

In popularity Fedora and Ubby are the top two, mint perhaps in third
place, I'll ignore BSD Mac for the moment as its not linux.

Most migration is from windows to whatever, and users want what they are
used to, that is, an enduser

experience not involving skills beyond the abibity to use the thing,
much....

Mostly its all down to the "baby duck syndrome", use what your used to.

I don't think Ubuntu is doing the general linux client market any harm,
quite the reverse, it opens the door for other distros, however windows
users have enough problems understanding that a replacment for windows
exists at all, never mind that theres also competition within that linux
arena as well.....at that point users start to glaze over and say, "well I
just want it to work", and preferably "better" lol than their previous os.

You say your anti ubuntu, care to expand on that point? I don't ship it
myself as I'm more likely to be able to support RH and derived product
because of my experience with that system. However if they want ubuntu,
they get it.