[members at lugog] Introduction:

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Fri Nov 26 06:30:35 UTC 2010

I've always used a lot of command line, and swear by vi for everything
I do (I edit all my websites using only vi and a browser, can't see
any attraction in "WYSIWYG"s when you are writing php code to generate
a site, vi is much faster).

For the record, in 1991 at Foster Yeoman (where I was employed at the
time) we decided to migrate from VMS on a VAX 8530 to Unix.  As part
of the exercise I had to evaluate several different Unix boxes... from
memory they were Solaris, hp-ux, Pyramid, Sequent and DEC Alpha.  In
the end we went for Solaris (SVR4) and were given a two day course on
Unix which, obviously, included a significant time on 'vi' and also on
the command line (Korn Shell, primarily).  Out of this also came my
"bible" of the time, O'Reilly's fantastic "Unix in a Nutshell".

Over the following 15 years that book proved invaluable especially
when, in about 1997, we had a large migration exercise at Cornhill
which required all sorts of user exits in Oracle forms to be replaced
with calls to procedures.  Here "awk" proved invaluable, a utility
that allows you to find something in a file and then work backwards
and forwards from that point with character substitution... quite a
revelation!  So for a week or more I did little other than write awk
scripts to convert our .INP files.