[members at lugog] Introduction:

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Fri Nov 26 07:49:55 UTC 2010

On 26 November 2010 07:31, Graham Lucas <graham.lucas at gmail.com> wrote:
> This rather illustrates my point. I can get a W7 machine and just run the
> software. I can get a Linux machine (if I can find one and after I've heard
> all the pros and cons of each distro), then get wine (if I know about it),
> then install the software.

As the software is written for Windows that is a given, but I think
you're being a bit unfair here as there are many Linux-only pieces of
software that you have to do exactly the same on Windows to use... ie.
run under an abstraction layer.  And wine is not hard to install, of
course... in fact, many distros come with it pre-installed.

> For people who are not that interested in what makes the PC tick, W7 is the
> easier, more straightforward option.

If they want to run Windows software, of course it is.  Same as if you
wanted to run Spectrum programs on an emulator on a PC...

The fact that Sage/Quickbooks etc. don't have a Linux version isn't
the fault of the OS.  And, who knows, shortly they might.  But in the
meantime you can run them in wine...