[members at lugog] Introduction:

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Fri Nov 26 09:22:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 07:49:49 +0000
Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:

> The fact that Sage/Quickbooks etc. don't have a Linux version isn't
> the fault of the OS.  And, who knows, shortly they might.  But in the
> meantime you can run them in wine...

an alternative is to install VirtualBox and run widows from within
that, I don't know if you can install windows 7 in VB but I have XP
plus a couple of the windows only genealogy apps my wife uses running
under VB on my main system.

It is easier in many ways to install new software using Linux than it
is using XP, at least you never have to reboot* Linux before the
software will work. I always use the command line to install software
using 'aptitude install xyz' but there are various front ends to the
apt tool so most people will use a gui app to get new software.

*In fact the only time I reboot my system is if a new kernel gets
installed as part of my daily update cycle, last time it was rebooted
was 33 days ago.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid