[members at lugog] Introduction:

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Fri Nov 26 08:50:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 00:45:45 +0000
Jake Davies <jdavies.thfc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/11/10 23:10, john lewis wrote:
> > It wasn't difficult and it didn't take me long to learn how, I
> > suppose I had learnt about things like using batch files in my CP/M
> > days but I am totally unskilled in programming otherwise. But I did
> > write the pages for my website* using vim as I found gui apps
> > totally confusing to use. I just bought a couple of books about HTML
> > and CSS and played around until I'd got it right.
> >

> Did you buy any books on vim then? I just used vimtutor, which shows
> you enough to get by.

Nope! I just learnt a few basic commands, so I can insert text, delete
lines and save files, and get by without any using any of the fancier
editing functions. I guess it helped that I had used wordstar in my
CP/M days so using keystrokes wasn't strange.

> What I'm trying to do at the moment is edit a lot of paragraphs and
> sentences in VIM but if when go down/up the text is formatted (or vim
> is set) so it jumps around 4 or so lines. I'm not sure if that's a
> valid explanation. I do use VIM to edit config files and write code,
> but it's good for crude text editing as well. It also doesn't read
> senences and paragraphs very well in text like this so when I press )
> and } (next sentence, next paragraph) it isn't working as it should

I think it may depend in whether you are using vi, vim or gvim as
there are subtle differences. Give nano a try as it is available by
default on many distros, it has a help line at the bottom of the page
so you don't really need any tuition in using it.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid