[members at lugog] Re Introduction

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Fri Nov 26 09:34:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:10:48 +0000
Alan Levett <alan at hidown.plus.com> wrote:

> Kelvin just brushed on the, to me, most important aspect of Linux
> which seems forgotten now.
> Each new version of M$ requires the newest and latest hardware, and
> will not work on anything less - collusion with hardware
> manufacturers?.

And often the software will need upgrading as well, so more expense as
you'll be unlikely to get that for the cost of a download.

> The newest version of the different Linux Distro's will work on
> virtually anything, 'tho' a '486 is pushing it a bit now.

Debian has a 2.6.32 kernel that can be used on a 486 so shouldn't be too
hard to use that old hardware, and distros like puppy are
intended for the older systems.

Debian supports many different architectures too
http://www.debian.org/ports/

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid