[members at lugog] Screen resolution

Dave Phelan dave.phelan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 11:43:52 UTC 2010

Sean,

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:
> I have a laptop (an old Compaq) on which the display is 800x600.
>
> Doesn't seem capable of anything greater, presumably because of the
> type of screen (?)
>
> Anybody know if there are any cunning ways to make Linux "emulate"
> 1024x768 or similar, perhaps by some form of clever display driver?
>
> It is a very usable laptop made completely useless by the fact that I
> can't actually use half the web anymore... the days that all major
> sites were optimised for 800x600 are long gone, I'm afraid!!
>
> Ideas, anybody?

No so much ideas, as questions:

Is the LCD actually only 800x600 pixels? If so, are you wanting
something to interpolate so it pretends to be bigger, but cleverly
averages every 5 pixels into 4?

Can you run an external monitor at a greater resolution? If so, you
can probably make the LCD screen a greater resolution, and then scroll
the visible screen round the lager 'virtual' screen.

Alternatively, most smart phones have that sort of resolution - you
could try using a mobile web-browser, or setting your user-agent in
your normal browser to a recognised mobile web browser and seeing
which sites play nicely with smaller screens...

Dave

--
 Dave Phelan CCIE#3590   skype:davephelan   GSM: 07990561784
 dave.phelan at gmail.com          http://www.davephelan.org