[members at lugog] Iceweasel vs Firefox

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Mar 1 17:32:46 UTC 2011

Alan Levett wrote:
> My update of Debian Etch to Lenny has been successful, and I have been
> building the system.

Debian Squeeze is now available.

> Recently, Youtube references will not play because the latest Shockwave Flash
> is not present.  [...]

I've not tried this (no debian desktop system switched on here right
at this moment), but http://www.youtube.com/html5 says Firefox 4 can
sidestep the whole proprietary Flash problem completely.

You can get some experimental iceweasel 4 packages from
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/iceweasel
but you may need i386, which isn't there.  Maybe in a few days it'll
be ready (I don't remember whether experimental auto-builds).

Or could you install Firefox 4 from its maker, but that means you'll
need to track security updates yourself, which is a problem with Flash.

Sorry there's no perfect solution.

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/