[members at lugog] What is LUGOG for (was "AVALONIX domain name")

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Jan 14 19:38:32 UTC 2012

Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net>
> At the Ashcott meeting it seemed to be that people wanted more of a general
> support forum for open source and support, rather than anything
> particularly related to the Linux kernel (though that would be a major part
> of it). [...]
>
> What DO we want to do in 2012?  Do we want monthly meetings, quarterly or
> what?  And what is the scope of the group, and should we still be "The
> Linux User Group of Glastonbury" or is there a better title for the
> community?

I want to help further collaboration and cooperation on Free and Open
Source Software in northern Somerset in 2012, as part of the United
Nations International Year of Co-operatives http://www.uk.coop/2012/ ...
do we think that a general support forum could help to spread FOSS in
this area?

Why don't members ask this email list for help as much as other LUGs
that I'm involved in?  Do we have fewer members, perhaps?  Are there
fewer newer users here?  Is anyone afraid?  Are you asking elsewhere
instead?  If so, mind if I ask where?

I'm not very good at getting to monthly meetings (probably I'm
involved in too many things now), especially if there's no focus or
headline act, but I think that quarterly meetings are much more
difficult to make into a fixture.  So I'd say go with monthly.

There's a long tradition of LUGs not being particularly kernel-centred
and covering Linux and anything that is often built upon it, so I
don't feel that a name change would add much benefit.  Does anyone?

> And what to do with Martin's domain... let it lapse, or do something with
> it?

If a member would like to produce a distribution, then go ahead, but
I've no particular desire to take that one.  Anyone?

Hope that informs,