[members at lugog] Free software: great power

Ian Dickinson i.j.dickinson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 10:13:23 UTC 2013

Hi Phil,
> Anyone out there who thinks there might be any value to what it actually did
> say?
If I'm honest, I'm not sure what the value of a digest would be. I
certainly applaud you for the the OSS contributions you have made. But
it's the contributions themselves that count, I think. Anyone who
really cares what I've done can see it in the svn log at Apache, or on
github, or on StackOverflow, etc. I suspect that vanishingly few
people do actually care, so me trying to draw anyone else's attention
to it seems like a waste of good electrons :)

I think we just have to soldier on, and accept plaudits whenever they
arise naturally**.

Ian

** I do occasionally get emails from people saying "Thanks, that was a
really helpful StackOverflow answer / blog post / answer on the user
list". Sadly, the second sentence is generally along the lines of "By
the way I'm a student, and I have a deadline, like, tomorrow, and my
code doesn't work, and could you just ..."