[Gllug] Which laptop?

Richard Clamp richardc at unixbeard.net
Thu Aug 30 16:21:51 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 05:08:53PM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 Aug 2001, Richard Clamp wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 03:27:35PM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> >> Ctrl-R for reverse i-search is a godsend, too - and in general
> >> learning readline functions, using 'em in all programs that are linked
> >> with readline,
> >*cough* They're emacs keybindings, readline just emulates it
>
> Hardly.

Eh?

>          You might as well say it emulates vi because it can use vi
> keybindings.

Yes, that's my point.  Thanks for agreeing.

> >>                and writing your own programs with readline is no bad idea.
> >*cough* Only if you really wanted to give away all your code under the
> >GPL.  readline, though being a library, is released under the GPL, not
> >the LGPL.
>
> Tell me something I don't know already.

Last I looked there are more people than yourself subscribed to the
list.  Some of them may not be cool with that aspect of readline, or
may have been unaware and assumed it had a different license applied
to it.[0]

Plus, for all I know you may have been unaware of that aspect, not
everyone checks the licenses of what they're using, or thinks to obey
them if they have.

[0] I so wanted to use the phrase 'reasonable license', but
    that distinction *is* the heat of that war.

--
Richard Clamp <richardc at unixbeard.net>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk