[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Fri Aug 10 23:10:31 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 04:12:44PM +0100, will wrote:

> It probably costs more than £20 to train people not to open dodgy files and
> stuff, like the time one of our employees opened the kournikova email
> because he 'just wanted to see what it was' even though everyone had been
> told not to and why.

I don't see much point in criticising users over this - silly them for
assuming that computers might be safe, reliable and easy to use.  The
proliferation of kournikova et al. is mostly the fault of a complacent
IT industry.  Complacency from MS, obviously but also complacency and
incompetence on the part of a lazy IT sector.  The infection of so many
home systems is inevitable given the gap between the actual skills of
the general population and those needed to safely maintain a Wintel
system.  It's the epidemic in commercial/institutional systems that
makes me despair.

What are all these IT departments up to?  If our little IT section can
keep all our offices secure from SirCam, what's their excuse?

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.