[Gllug] Throughput issues on ADSL firewall

Andy McGarty andy at mcGarty.net
Fri Aug 10 20:25:58 UTC 2001

Hi,

I've set up a system this week as a firewall connecting to ADSL via the ethernet port.

Users on the lan (its maquerading the connections) are getting appallingly slow connections.  The DNS is fast, the first few bytes arriving quickly and get displayed by then it just stops.  Eventually everything arrives but its slower than a dialup.  Ping times are just a few milliseconds.

This is the third such install I've done using Easynet and the previous connections are screaming along.  I set ip_no_pmtu_disc to 1 as this helped on a previous install and this helps a bit and I'm convinced its something to do with large packets not getting fragmented properly.  I've even tried using a different install (RH 7.0 and Mandrake 8.0) but it makes no difference.

An ifconfig of the interfaces shows no errors on either card (one to the hub, the other to the ADSL Modem).

Users plugged dirrectly in the back of the BT modem/hub work fine, so I don't think its a BT/Easynet problem.

Anyone else experienced similar problems?

Cheers

Andy