[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sat Aug 11 10:27:34 UTC 2001

On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 12:10:31AM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 04:12:44PM +0100, will wrote:
> >
> > It probably costs more than £20 to train people not to open dodgy files and
> > stuff, like the time one of our employees opened the kournikova email
> > because he 'just wanted to see what it was' even though everyone had been
> > told not to and why.
>
> I don't see much point in criticising users over this - silly them for
> assuming that computers might be safe, reliable and easy to use.  The

Silly ! - dam foolish - there is plenty of evidence to the contrary
on all 3 counts!

> proliferation of kournikova et al. is mostly the fault of a complacent
> IT industry.  Complacency from MS, obviously but also complacency and
> incompetence on the part of a lazy IT sector.  The infection of so many
> home systems is inevitable given the gap between the actual skills of
> the general population and those needed to safely maintain a Wintel
> system.  It's the epidemic in commercial/institutional systems that
> makes me despair.
>
> What are all these IT departments up to?  If our little IT section can
> keep all our offices secure from SirCam, what's their excuse?
>
> --
> Bruce
>
> I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.

I think the problem here is that the responsibility is shared - Tech support
and users have to work together and it is just too easy to see as someone elses
 problem. In my last job I just couldn't convince management that security was
even an issue, and the sending of executable 'funnies' was seen as an
integral part of team building (we didn't even have backups at the time!).

Besides - most people remain unnafected most of the time, even if they are not
careful. So you can get away with being lazy (most of the time)

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk